Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
3 medium tomatoes, diced
4 green onions, diced
1 jalapeño or yellow chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (use gloves when handling pepper) or 1 can green chilies, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 4 teaspoons dried
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
4 medium ears of cooked corn, cut off the cob (about 2 cups) or 1 (15.25 oz) can, rinsed and drained
1½ cups cooked black beans or 1 (15.5 oz) can, rinsed and drained
- Wash and prepare vegetables and herbs.
- Combine vegetables, except corn, with herbs in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in corn and black beans.
- Serve as a relish, side dish, or dip with low-fat tortilla chips.
- For a quick and easy tomato salsa, omit the corn and beans.
Serving size: ½ cup; Calories: 80; Carbohydrates: 16 g; Fiber: 5 g; Fat: 1 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 140 mg