Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup per serving
3 large stalks of kale, stems discarded, leaves finely chopped (about 4 cups)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1 apple, cored and diced
⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup dried cranberries
- Wash and prepare kale and apple.
- Sprinkle salt over chopped kale and massage for 2 minutes in a large bowl.
- Pour vinegar over the kale and toss to coat.
- Mix in apple, feta cheese, and dried cranberries.
- Use 1 tablespoon low-fat dressing instead of vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add ¼ cup sunflower seeds or walnuts.
- Use pear or orange slices instead of an apple.
- Substitute raisins for dried cranberries.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 110; Carbohydrates: 19 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 3.5 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Sodium: 290 mg