Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
4 medium beets, ends trimmed
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 can (15.5 oz) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained (optional)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and fruit.
- Scrub beets clean under cold water.
- Place beets in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer on low until tender (about 20 minutes).
- While beets are cooking, zest 1 tablespoon of lemon.
- Cool beets and peel.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. Or mash together in a large bowl using a masher or fork.
- Serve with whole-wheat crackers, slices of washed bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, and celery.
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas) will provide extra flavor, texture, fiber, and protein if added.
Serving size (without garbanzo beans): ¼ cup; Calories: 120; Carbohydrates: 5 g; Fiber: 1g; Fat: 11 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 25 mg
Serving size (with garbanzo beans): ¼ cup; Calories: 180; Carbohydrates: 14 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 12 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 115 mg