Fruits and Vegetables: 2½ cups per serving
4 medium potatoes
4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
½ cup sour cream, fat-free or ½ cup plain yogurt, non-fat
¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
¼ teaspoon basil, dried
Dash of pepper
- Wash and scrub potatoes under running water and pat dry.
- Pierce potatoes on each side with a fork (4-5 times). Microwave on high until tender, 3-4 minutes per potato (12 – 16 minutes when using 4 potatoes). Turn potatoes over using an oven mitt or tongs. Cook for an addition 2-3 minutes, if needed. Set aside.
- Steam mixed vegetables in the microwave with 3 tablespoons of water in a covered dish for 2 minutes until hot.
- In a small bowl, mix sour cream or plain yogurt with herbs and pepper.
- Split each potato in the center and fill with steamed vegetables. Top with sour cream and serve hot.
- Top with your favorite type of vegetables.
- For a different flavor, try adding ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or chopped scallions to sour cream or yogurt.
- Use sweet potatoes for additional health benefits.
Serving size: 1 potato; Calories: 280; Carbohydrates: 60 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 0 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 100 mg
Adapted from What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl