2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 small turnips, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
6 cups water
2 chicken or vegetable bouillon cubes
2 teaspoons dried basil
Pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Put the vegetables in large pot or saucepan.
- Add the barley, water, bouillon cubes, and basil. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Check the soup often, adding hot water as needed.
- Add pepper to taste.
- For a spicier taste, add a few shakes of Tabasco sauce and 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder.
- Serve with whole-wheat bread or rolls.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 210 mg