Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
2 carrots, shredded
1 small green, red, or yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
½ (15.5 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped or 2 tablespoons dried
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and parsley.
- Heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in bulgur and coat in oil. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add remaining ingredients (except parsley). Cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in parsley and serve warm or cold.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 130; Carbohydrates: 22 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 3 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 75 mg