2 cups cooked turkey, cut into bite-size pieces (or 2 cups ground turkey, browned in skillet and drained)
2 tablespoons chili or taco seasoning
11/2 cups water
4 corn tortillas
1/4 cup refried beans
1/4 cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, low-fat
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup lettuce, shredded
2 tablespoons onions, chopped
1/2 cup taco sauce
plain yogurt, low-fat or fat-free (optional)
guacamole or mashed avocado (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine turkey, taco seasoning, and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place tortillas on a cookie sheet. Bake for 4-7 minutes, or until tortillas are crispy.
- Spread tortillas with a tablespoon of beans. Top with 1/4 meat mixture, then cheese.
- Return tortillas to oven to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, and taco sauce. Garnish with yogurt and guacamole, if desired.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Turkey is lower in fat than beef.
- Try whole-wheat tortillas for added fiber.
Serving size: 1 tostada (no yogurt or guacamole)
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/4 cup
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 440 mg