Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes, unsalted, diced
1 cup water
1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup whole-wheat pasta, uncooked
1 cup cheddar cheese, reduced-fat, shredded
- Wash and prepare onion and green pepper.
- Heal oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat. Sauté ground turkey, onions, and green peppers until lightly browned. Drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, water, kidney beans, spices, and uncooked pasta to the turkey mixture. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or unti the pasta is tender.
- Stir occasionally to keep chili from sticking. Thin with a little water during cooking if necessary.
- Dice 12 fresh tomatoes and use instead of canned tomatoes.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 330; Carbohydrates: 22 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 13 g; Saturated fat: 3.5 g; Sodium: 270 mg