1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 pound lean ground turkey
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes, stewed or diced, unsalted
1 (28-ounce can) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn
1 cup uncooked pasta (optional)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Cook turkey, green bell pepper, onion, chili powder, garlic, and red pepper in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add tomatoes, beans, corn, and pasta and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Lean ground turkey has less fat than beef.
- Serve with a side salad and whole-wheat rolls.
- Season to taste with chili powder.
Serving size: 1 cup with pasta
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 2.5 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sodium: 150 mg