Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
1 (15.5 oz) can black or navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium tomato, diced
⅓ cup mild picante sauce or salsa
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin, ground
¼ cup Monteray Jack cheese, reduced-fat, shredded
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped or 4 teaspoons dried
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (optional)
1 (4 oz) can green chilies, diced (optional)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Place beans in a bowl and mash until chunky. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and put in a serving bowl.
- Stir in cheese, cilantro, lime juice, and green chilies.
- Serve with fresh vegetables, whole-grain crackers, or baked tortilla chips.
- Make a meal out of this recipe by serving with grilled chicken or in a burrito or quesadilla.
- Try using a small can of drained diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes.
Serving size: ½ cup; Calories: 100; Carbohydrates: 15 g; Fiber 1 g; Fat: 2 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Sodium: 300 mg