1 cup dry bulgur wheat
11/2 cups boiling water
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon mint, dried
1/2 cup scallions (include greens), chopped
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 5 tablespoons dried parsley
black pepper to taste
1/2 cup cooked or canned chickpeas
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 cucumber, chopped
2 carrots, coarsely grated
- Combine bulgur and boiling water in a bowl.
- Cover and let stand 15-20 minutes, or until bulgur absorbs the water.
- Drain the water from the bulgur and set aside to cool.
- While bulgur is cooling, wash and prepare scallions, tomatoes, and parsley (if using fresh). Prepare optional vegetables if desired.
- Add lemon juice, oil, mint, and vegetables to bulgur. Mix thoroughly. Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Just before serving, add black pepper to the bulgur mixture. Mix gently.
- Try different vegetables to add flavor and texture.
- Serve tabouli as a side dish.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/4 cup
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 10 mg