1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder)
3 large green or red bell peppers
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups cooked rice, brown or white
1 tablespoon dried parsley (or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley) (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Wash and prepare vegetables and herbs if using fresh.
- Cook onion and garlic in vegetable oil until tender.
- Add beans, rice, parsley, and black pepper. (You may use more beans and less rice.)
- Cut washed bell peppers in half, remove seeds, and place in baking pan.
- Spoon bean mixture into each pepper. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- This recipe is a good way to use leftover rice. Brown rice is a whole grain.
- Make extra and freeze for later use.
Serving size: 1/2 pepper (with brown rice)
Fruits and Vegetables: 2/3 cup
Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 170 mg