Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup per serving
2 teaspoons vegetable or olive oil
1 large onion, minced
¾ cup chourico or turkey kielbasa, cubed
8 oz frozen carrots, crinkle cut
8 oz frozen butternut squash, cubed
2 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
1½ teaspoons coriander, ground
1½ teaspoons cumin, ground
1½ teaspoons turmeric, ground
1½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon oregano, dried
2 tablespoons homemade or store-bought sofrito
2 (15.5 oz) cans of beans (any variety), rinsed and drained
- Wash and prepare the onion and potatoes.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cubed kielbasa or chourico and cook until browned.
- Add dry seasonings, sofrito, and mix well.
- Add carrots, squash, potatoes, and enough water to cover mixture. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans and cook for 10 more minutes uncovered on medium heat until vegetables are tender and stew has thickened.
- Serve immediately while hot.
- Stewed beans are tasty with brown rice.
- To mince vegetables, cut them into very small pieces (1/8 inch or smaller).
- If using fresh carrots, peel and chop two carrots into 1-inch pieces.
- If using fresh butternut squash, peel and chop into 1-inch pieces (1 cup).
Serving size: about 1½ cups; Calories: 250; Carbohydrates: 36 g; Fiber: 9 g; Fat: 6 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Sodium: 380 mg
Adapted from USDA’s Mixing Bowl