Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
½ pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 (14.5 oz) can tomato sauce, unsalted
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon oregano, dried
½ teaspoon basil, dried
8 ounces wide whole-grain noodles, uncooked
1 cup cottage cheese, low-fat (1%)
½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Wash and prepare onion.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet or frying pan and brown meat with onion.
3. Stir in thawed spinach, tomato sauce, water, and spices.
4. Bring to a boil and add noodles. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir gently to prevent sticking.
5. Spread cottage cheese on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
6. Cover and simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
Serving size (with ground beef): 1 cup; Calories: 220; Carbohydrates: 27 g; Fiber: 2 g; Fat: 7 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Sodium: 260 mg