1/2 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce, unsalted
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano, ground
1/2 teaspoon basil, ground
8 ounces wide noodles, uncooked
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1 cup low-fat (1%) cottage cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, brown meat and onion. Drain off excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, 1 cup water, and spices. Stir.
- Bring to a boil. Add noodles. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring gently to prevent sticking.
- Stir in thawed spinach.
- Spread cottage cheese on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and simmer until noodles are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Serve with a tossed salad and garlic bread.
- This recipe is easier and quicker than traditional lasagna.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 3 g