1 small onion, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
2 pounds lean ground turkey
1 (28-ounce) can unsalted tomatoes, chopped, with juice
1 cup water
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2-3 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup uncooked whole-wheat fusilli pasta
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Sauté the ground turkey, onion, and green bell pepper in a deep frying pan until lightly browned. Drain off the fat.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with juice, water, kidney beans, spices, and uncooked fusilli pasta to the turkey mixture. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir occasionally to keep the pasta from sticking. Thin with a little water during cooking if necessary.
- Top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Add red pepper, cayenne pepper, or Tabasco sauce for more heat.
- Add your favorite vegetables to boost nutrition.
- Any pasta can be substituted for the fusilli.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 8 g
Fiber: 5 g