Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
2 large ears yellow sweet corn on the cob
1 medium tomato, diced
1 small red onion, diced
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped, or 4 teaspoons dried
½ jalapeño pepper, seeded, finely chopped (use gloves when handling hot pepper)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
½ teaspoon cumin, ground
Dash of salt and black pepper
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Set oven to broil on high and position oven rack 6 inches from heating element.
- Peel cornhusks and clean off all the silk (“hair”). Leave the green end attached for a handle.
- Place corn on a baking sheet in the oven and broil for 2–3 minutes. Rotate four times until kernels darken slightly, no longer, than 10 minutes total. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the corn is cooling, wash and prepare tomato, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno pepper.
- Cut kernels from the ears of corn and combine in medium-sized bowl with the other vegetables and cilantro. Add oil and mix well
- Add lime juice, cumin, salt, and ground pepper to taste.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serve with baked tortilla chips or whole-wheat crackers.
Try baking or boiling corn, if preferred.
Use parsley instead of cilantro for a milder flavor.
Serving size: about ½ cup; Calories: 80; Carbohydrates: 12 g; Fiber: 2 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 80 mg