6 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
6 cups water
6 cups pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cubed, seeds removed
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup milk, skim
6 tablespoons cream, half-and-half
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Add water and pumpkin cubes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree in blender, or use an immersion blender.
- Add salt, pepper, and curry powder. Stir well.
- Add milk and cream. Stir well.
- Use evaporated skim milk (canned) instead of half-and-half cream to reduce fat.
Serving size: 1 cup (using pumpkin and half-and-half cream)
Fruits and Vegetables: 2/3 cup
Fat: 3.5 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 210 mg