1/2 bell pepper, washed, seeded, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 small tomato, washed, seeded, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 (1/8-inch) slices onion
5 cups pipian*, washed, cut into pieces, and steamed
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs, beaten
dash of salt and pepper
*For information on pipian, visit: www.worldcrops.org
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add bell pepper, tomato, and onion, stirring and shaking the pan gently for three minutes or until the vegetables are crisp and tender.
- Add the pipian and eggs.
- Stir three or four minutes, or until eggs are fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato or marinara sauce to the stir-fry and serve with whole-wheat pasta.
- Serve over brown rice.
- Add cooked chicken or lean steak for a hearty stir-fry.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 4.5 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 50 mg