Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
2 cups whole-wheat elbow pasta, uncooked
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk, low-fat or fat-free
2 cups cheddar cheese, reduced-fat, shredded
½ teaspoon pepper, ground
2 cups cooked broccoli, chopped
- Cook pasta until tender following directions on package.
- Drain cooked pasta and return to pan. Sprinkle flour over pasta while it is still warm. Toss thoroughly.
- Reheat the pan to medium heat, slowly stir in milk, cheese, and pepper.
- Cook, but do not boil, until the milk and cheese thicken into a creamy sauce—approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and heat thoroughly.
- Substitute another favorite vegetable for broccoli.
Serving size: about 1 cup; Calories: 200; Carbohydrates: 29 g; Fiber: 1 g; Fat: 3.5 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Sodium: 290 mg