1 (15.5-ounce) can white beans such as great northern
1 (15.5-ounce) can red kidney beans
2 (15.5-ounce) cans pinto beans
2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (46-ounce) can tomato juice or V-8 juice
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, unsalted
1 (14.5-ounce) can vegetable broth, low-sodium
1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 fresh cloves of garlic (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- Wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Drain and rinse the canned beans.
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Beans are a healthy high-fiber alternative to meat.
- Serve with whole-wheat bread or rolls.
- Freeze leftovers in plastic sealed containers with 1/2-inch air space under the lid.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 330 mg