1 (15.5 ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
1 small garlic clove, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Puree beans, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice in a food processor, or mash together using a masher or fork.
2. Add sugar, cumin, pepper, and salt. Blend until smooth, about two minutes.
3. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
4. Serve with whole-wheat crackers or fresh cut-up vegetables.
- Serve hummus with washed cut-up bell peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery and tomatoes.
- Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip and a nutrient-rich food. It is a healthy source of vegetable protein. Add 1/4 cup Tahini (sesame seed paste) for a richer flavor and texture.
- Spread hummus in a pita pocket and fill with fresh vegeteables for a vegetarian sandwich.
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 0 cups
Fat: 12 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 150 mg