Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
1 (15.5 oz) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
1 small garlic clove, minced
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon cumin, ground
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Puree beans, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor, or mash together using a masher or fork.
- Add sugar, cumin, pepper, and salt. Blend until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Serve with whole-wheat crackers or slices of washed green and red peppers, cucumbers, carrots, celery, and tomatoes.
- Add ¼ cup tahini (sesame seed paste) for a richer flavor and texture.
- For a vegetarian sandwich, spread hummus in a pita pocket and fill with fresh vegetables.
Serving size (for hummus only): ¼ cup; Calories: 160; Carbohydrates: 11 g; Fiber: 3 g; Fat: 12 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 150 mg