1/2 cups quick oats
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk, skim or low-fat (1%)
1/3 cup applesauce
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts
vegetable oil cooking spray
Do not give honey to children under 12 months of age - they are at risk of infant botulism, which is a rare but serious form of food poisoning.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add milk, applesauce, egg, and honey to the bowl and mix until moistened.
- Add raisins and nuts. Mix well.
- Spray cooking spray into 12 medium-sized muffin cups. Fill each cup 2/3 full with muffin batter.
- Bake in oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with fruit of your choice.
- To lower the fat, substitute an equal amount of applesauce for the oil whenever you bake muffins.
Serving size: 1 muffin
Fruits and Vegetables: 0 cups
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 280 mg