1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, sliced thin (optional)
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped (or 4 teaspoons basil, dried)
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- Put water into a large pot and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile, wash and prepare vegetables and basil (if using fresh).
- Add green beans to boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and plunge green beans into cold water to stop cooking and retain the color (blanch). Beans should be bright green and tender-crisp.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked and cooled green beans with tomatoes (and onions, if using them). Add basil and garlic.
- In a small bowl, blend together the vinegar and oil. Drizzle over beans and tomato mixture. Toss until lightly coated.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
- For a tangier dressing, try blending 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard into the oil and vinegar.
- This is a great recipe to make and refrigerate the night before you need it. The flavors will blend.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 3 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 0 mg