Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup per serving
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 summer squash (zucchini, crookneck or any combination), sliced into rounds
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon basil, fresh, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and basil.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant, peppers, and squash. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and spices. Cover and simmer over low heat for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Serve over pasta or brown rice as a main dish or as a side vegetable with chicken, fish or other meat.
Serving size: 1 ½ cups; Calories: 70; Carbohydrates: 10 g; Fiber: 3 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated fat: 0 g; Sodium: 10 mg
Adapted from Morten’s Recipe Collection