Fruits and Vegetables: ¾ cup per serving
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
3 medium potatoes, sliced or cubed
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 quart chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
3 – 4 large stalks of kale, stems discarded, leaves
Dash of black pepper
Dash of salt (optional)
1 pound pollack or codfish filets, skin and bones removed, cut into large chunks
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or ½ tablespoon dried
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs (if using fresh).
- Heat oil in a large pot and add onions and garlic. Cook for several minutes over medium heat. Add thyme and potatoes.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Add kale and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes until potatoes are tender but not soft.
- Add fish and cook for another 5 minutes. Fish will flake apart when cooked.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Instead of using canned diced tomatoes, use fresh. Dice 6 whole tomatoes into ½-inch pieces.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 150; Carbohydrates: 17 g; Fiber: 3 g; Fat: 4 g; Saturated fat: 0.5 g; Sodium: 200 mg