Fruits and Vegetables: ¾ cup per serving
1 small head of lettuce, torn into small pieces
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
Vegetable cooking spray
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 (15.5 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
¾ cup salsa or taco sauce
Baked tortilla chips, crumbled
- Wash and prepare lettuce, tomatoes and bell pepper. Combine salad in a large bowl.
- Coat frying pan with cooking spray, brown the meat and onion. Remove from heat and drain off fat and liquid.
- Add beans and salsa to cooled meat mixture and spoon on top of the salad.
- Serve with additional salsa and crumbled tortilla chips.
- Avoid cross-contamination by washing hands with hot soapy water before touching other ingredients and everything that comes in contact with raw meat, equipment and work places.
- Try different beans, such as kidney beans, or black beans.
- For extra flavor, add 1 cup shredded cheese.
Serving size: 1½ cups; Calories: 180; Carbohydrates: 21 g; Fiber: 4 g; Fat: 5 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 320 mg