1 small head of lettuce, torn into small pieces
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup salsa or taco sauce
baked tortilla chips, crumbled
additional salsa as desired
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Put lettuce in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and green bell pepper.
- Brown meat and onion in a frying pan coated with cooking spray. Drain off the liquid.
- Mix meat, beans, and salsa. Add to the salad mixture.
- Serve with additional salsa and crumbled, baked tortilla chips.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- Try different beans, such as kidney beans or black beans.
- Add shredded cheese for extra flavor.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruit and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 250 mg