Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger or ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ cup cilantro, stems included, chopped (optional)
2 teaspoons curry paste or powder
½ cup dry red lentils, rinsed
1 medium sweet potato or yam, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk, light
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 3–4 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic, ginger, and cilantro if desired. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add curry paste or powder and stir until heated through.
- Add lentils, sweet potato or yam, carrots, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, puree soup in the pot. Or carefully ladle soup into a blender and puree in batches.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 130; Carbohydrates: 19 g; Fiber: 3 g; Fat: 5 g; Saturated fat: 2 g; Sodium: 100 mg