3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1 teaspoon paprika
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes)
1 cup orange juice
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
7 cups cooked black beans, drained (from one pound dry or 4 (15.5-ounce) cans)
1/4 to 1 cup water
- Wash and prepare vegetables and parsely if using fresh.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and spices and saute until onions are clear.
- Add carrots and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add green bell pepper and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add black pepper, parsley, juice, and tomatoes. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Combine the black beans with the vegetable mixture.
- Puree only 2-3 cups of the bean mixture in the blender, adding water as needed to make it smooth.
- Stir the puree into the remaining beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with baked chicken and brown rice.
- Olive oil is a healthier fat than butter or margarine.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 9 g
Sodium: 260 mg