1/2 cup milk or buttermilk, low-fat or skim
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup cornflakes, crushed
11/2 tablespoons onion powder
11/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
8 chicken pieces, skin removed
a few shakes of paprika
vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning to milk.
- Combine remaining seasonings (except paprika) with cornflake crumbs and place in a large plastic bag.
- Dip chicken into milk and gently shake to remove excess milk. Then, place in bag with seasonings and crumbs, and shake until chicken is thoroughly coated. Continue with remaining chicken.
- Spray baking pan with cooking spray and place chicken on pan, evenly spaced. Sprinkle with paprika for added color.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes or until the meat can be easily pulled away from the bone with a fork. Drumsticks may require less baking time than breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy "skin." (Do not turn chicken during baking.)
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
- This recipe is a healthier version of deep-fried chicken.
Serving size: 1 piece
Fruits and Vegetables: 0 cups
Fat: 11 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 290 mg