2 cups broccoli, chopped
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, low-sodium
2 cups milk, skim or low-fat (1%)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
dash of pepper
dash of thyme
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated, low-fat
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Pour broth into saucepan, stir in vegetables and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook mixture about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, cornstarch, pepper, and thyme. Be sure cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Add milk mixture to cooked vegetables. Stir constantly until the soup thickens. Bring just to a boil and remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve with whole-wheat bread or rolls.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 2.5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 180 mg