Fruits and Vegetables: ¾ cup per serving
2 cups broccoli, fresh, coarsely chopped
1 small celery stalk, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
2 cups milk, low-fat
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Dash black pepper
Pinch thyme, dried
½ cup cheddar cheese, low-fat, shredded
- Wash and prepare broccoli, celery and onion.
- Combine broth and vegetables in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in milk and add pepper and thyme.
- Pour milk mixture into cooked vegetables, stirring constantly until soup thickens. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- If you prefer a smoother soup consistency, put batches of the soup in a blender.
- Use a potato masher if you do not have a blender.
- Use frozen broccoli for a quicker cook time.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 120; Carbohydrates: 16 g; Fiber 2 g; Fat: 2.5 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 220 mg