8 small flour tortillas (about 6-inches)
1 large sweet red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cups fresh spinach leaves or 9 ounces frozen, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups cheddar cheese, low-fat and shredded
- Wash and prepare the vegetables.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons red or green pepper on one half of each tortilla.
- Add spinach (1/4 cup if using fresh leaves or 2 tablespoons if using frozen) and garlic powder.
- Top each tortilla with 4 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Fold tortillas in half.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Put two folded tortillas in skillet and heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove quesadillas from skillet, place on platter and cover with foil to keep warm while cooking the remainder.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm.
- Try whole-wheat or corn tortillas.
- Try different cheeses for different flavors. For example, try mozzarella for a milder taste, cheddar for a stronger taste, or pepper jack for a hot taste.
Serving size: 1 quesadilla (4 wedges)
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/4 cup
Fat: 4 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 390 mg