Fruits and Vegetables ¼ cup per serving
8 tortillas, whole-wheat, 6-inch
1 large red or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves or 1 bag/box (10 oz) chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups cheddar cheese, reduced fat, shredded
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Vegetable cooking spray
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of chopped pepper on one half of each tortilla.
- Add spinach (¼ cup if using fresh leaves or 2 tablespoons if using frozen).
- Top each tortilla with 4 tablespoons shredded cheese and fold tortillas in half.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat until hot. Put two folded tortillas in pan and heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove tortillas from pan, place on platter and cover with foil to keep warm while cooking the remainder.
- Cut each quesadilla into four wedges. Serve warm.
- If using fresh spinach, discard stems and tear leaves into pieces.
- Try other vegetables instead of bell peppers and spinach such as chopped onions, diced carrots, zucchini, or mushrooms.
- Add your favorite beans for added fiber and protein.
Serving size: 1 quesadilla (4 wedges); Calories: 140; Carbohydrates: 22 g; Fiber: 1 g; Fat: 4.5 g; Saturated Fat: 2 g; Sodium: 460 mg