1/2 small yellow, white, or red onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, or a mixture of both), quartered
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Stir, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to combine.
- Salsa can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips, pita chips, or whole-wheat crackers.
- For a milder flavor, substitute parsley for cilantro, reduce the cumin, and/or eliminate the red pepper flakes.
- Mix with plain low-fat yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese for a creamier consistency. The dairy balances the heat from the red pepper.
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Fruit and Vegetables: 1/4 cup
Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 150 mg