2 cups water
1 cup white rice or brown rice
1/4 cup soy sauce, low-sodium
3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
4 slices ginger, fresh
2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups bok choy, broccoli, or Chinese cabbage
1 (15.5-ounce) can cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- In a medium sauce pan over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add the rice, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice until done, about 15-20 minutes for white rice and 40-50 minutes for brown rice.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until sizzling. Add the carrot and celery and stir for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the bok choy, broccoli, or Chinese cabbage and stir 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the soy mixture and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Simmer just until thickened and the vegetables are cooked. Sprinkle with the scallions and serve with the rice.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 500 mg