2 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
11/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
11/2 pounds tofu, crumbled
1 teaspoon basil, ground
1 teaspoon oregano, ground
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes, with juice, unsalted
1 (14.5-ounce) can tomato sauce, unsalted
2 (15.5-ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
black pepper to taste
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add vegetables and tofu, reduce heat to medium-low, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add spices and stir.
- Stir in canned tomatoes with juice. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and beans. Reduce heat to low.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Tofu is a healthy, low-fat meat substitute.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 8 g
Sodium: 170 mg