1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes, canned, low-sodium
1/2 cup tomato sauce, canned, low-sodium
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 pieces chicken (thighs, breasts, or legs, skin removed)
1. Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
2. Put the prepared vegetables in a saucepan.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper (and oregano, if using).
4. Cook on low heat for 3 minutes.
5. Add the chicken to the sauce pan and cover the pan.
6. Cook on low heat for about 1 hour until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw chicken before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places.
- Add sliced mushrooms or other favorite vegetables to the recipe.
- Try serving with whole-wheat pasta.
- Double the recipe to freeze for another meal.
Serving size: about 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 3/4 cup
Fat: 3.5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 230 mg