Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
½ small yellow, white, or red onion, diced
¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
1 pint cherry tomatoes (red, yellow, or a mixture of both), quartered
½ teaspoon cumin, ground
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1–2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- Place all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Stir, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to combine.
- Serve with baked tortilla chips, pita chips, or whole-wheat crackers.
- For a milder flavor, substitute parsley for cilantro, reduce the cumin, and eliminate the red pepper flakes.
- Mix with plain low-fat yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese for a creamier consistency. The dairy balances the heat from the red pepper.
Serving size: ½ cup; Calories: 25; Carbohydrates: 5 g, Fiber: 1 g; Fat: 0 g; Saturated fat: 0g; Sodium: 300 mg