21/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 medium zucchini, cut into "matchsticks"
2 green onions, minced
1 large tomato
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 4 teaspoons dried parsley
black pepper to taste
1/4 cups cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon chervil, minced
1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables and herbs.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and salt. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice. Return water to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to very low. Simmer until water is absorbed and rice is tender and fluffy, about 45 minutes. Do not lift lid or stir rice again during cooking.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and fluff the rice with a fork. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, add the zucchini, green onion, tomato, parsley, and black pepper to the rice. Toss lightly.
- Combine all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Pour over rice and toss lightly with a fork to mix.
- Try scooping the salad onto lettuce leaves for healthy "lettuce wraps."
- Try using 10 minute brown rice to cut down cooking time.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 14 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 105 mg