2 medium eggplants with skin, sliced 1-inch thick
vegetable oil cooking spray
ground pepper to taste
1 (16-ounce) jar marinara or tomato sauce
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped, or 2 tablespoons dried basil, crushed
2 cups mozzarella cheese, part-skim, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat broiler. Wash and prepare eggplant and basil (if using fresh).
- Spray broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Season eggplant with pepper, spray with cooking spray.
- Arrange on broiler pan and broil for 3-5 minutes on each side. When done, place in a baking dish and set aside.
- Heat marinara or tomato sauce in a saucepan.
- Add basil and cook about 1 minute. Spoon over eggplant.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and broil just until cheese melts.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 6 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 330 mg