Fruits and Vegetables: ½ cup per serving
1 teaspoon vegetable or olive oil
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
1 cup broccoli, chopped
½ cup frozen corn, thawed
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup Monterey Jack cheese, reduced-fat, shredded
5 tortillas, whole-wheat (6-inch)
1½ cups salsa (for filling and garnish)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat. Sauté peppers and carrots until tender, 5 minutes.
- Add broccoli and cook for 8 minutes. Add corn and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add beans and ½ cup salsa and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Place 1 cup of mixture onto each tortilla, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Fold tortilla sides to form a well-packaged burrito. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve with salsa for dipping.
- For a spicier flavor, add red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper.
- Substitute other vegetables that you have on hand, such as onions, mushrooms, or cauliflower.
- Substitute one medium ear of fresh corn, cooked and cut off the cob, in place of ½ cup frozen corn.
Serving size: 1 cup on 1 tortilla; Calories: 230; Carbohydrates: 46 g; Fiber: 9 g; Fat: 4.5 g; Saturated fat: 1.5 g; Sodium: 940 mg