11/2 cups milk, low-fat
1 tablespoon honey**
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 bananas, peeled, sliced
vegetable oil cooking spray
3 medium apples
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup water
DO NOT give honey to children under 12 months of age - they are at risk of infant botulism, which is a rare but serious form of food poisoning.
- Beat eggs. Beat in milk, honey, and oil.
- Add flours and baking powder.
- Slice bananas and add to egg and flour mixture.
- Coat a large, non-stick frying pan or griddle with non-stick vegetable oil cooking spray. Warm the pan over medium heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter onto the heated griddle for each pancake (adjust more or less depending on pancake size.)
- Cook until the tops are bubbly and the pancakes are dry around the edges. Flip and cook until golden, 2-3 minutes. Place pancakes on a platter and keep warm.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 using remaining batter. Use more non-stick cooking spray as needed.
- Wash apples, remove cores, and slice thinly with peel still on.
- Combine apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and water.
- Cook in a skillet for 10 minutes.
- Spoon on top of pancakes.
Serving size: 2 pancakes (with 3/4 cup apple topping)
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 10 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 220 mg