Fruits and Vegetables: ¾ cup per serving
1 box (16 oz) whole-wheat linguini, uncooked
1 pound snow peas, fresh, snipped stems
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
or julienne cut
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and
1 cup scallions, chopped finely
¼ cup rice vinegar
¼ cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce, low-sodium
2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Wash and prepare vegetables. Set aside.
- Cook linguini according to package directions or to desired tenderness. During the last 3 minutes of cooking, add carrots and snow peas. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- Place cooled linguini, carrots and snow peas in a large serving bowl and add peppers and scallions.
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a small bowl, pour over linguini mixture, and toss well. Add sesame seeds.
- Chill before serving.
- Use vegetable or canola oil instead of sesame oil and use white or red vinegar instead of rice vinegar for a less expensive meal.
- Substitute fresh green beans for snow peas.
- To julienne a vegetable means to cut it into small, thin pieces the size of matchsticks.
Serving size: 1 cup; Calories: 270; Carbohydrates: 44 g; Fiber: 7 g; Fat: 8 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Sodium: 260 mg