Fruits and Vegetables: ¼ cup per serving
2 apples, chopped (with skins on)
⅓ cup vanilla yogurt, non-fat or low-fat
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 tortillas, whole-wheat (6-inch)
- Wash and prepare apples. Place in a medium-sized bowl and stir in yogurt.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl or cup.
- Pour 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil into a small dish.
- Lay the tortilla flat on a large plate. Dip your clean fingers into the oil and lightly coat one side of the tortilla. Once coated, sprinkle lightly with the cinnamon sugar.
- Flip tortilla over so the un-oiled side is up. Fill with a quarter of the apple mixture and fold in half.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Place folded tortilla in pan. Cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Flip to cook second side for 1 minute.
- Remove from pan, cool slightly, and cut in half. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Leaving the skins on the apples adds extra fiber.
Serving size (using low-fat yogurt): about ½ of a 6-inch tortilla filled; Calories: 110; Carbohydrates: 23g; Fiber: 1 g; Fat: 3 g; Saturated Fat: 0 g; Sodium: 110 mg
Adapted from Cornell Cooperative Extension