1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
4 cups apples, washed, peeled, cored, and sliced
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
11/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon or apple spice seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 300 °F.
- Wash, peel, core, and slice apples.
- Mix together eggs, vanilla, and applesauce (wet ingredients).
- In a separate large bowl, mix apples, sugar, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon (dry ingredients).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until blended.
- Pour mixture into a 9"x12" pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Keep the peel on the apple for added fiber.
- Cut into 12 pieces and freeze some for later. Thaw in microwave when ready to eat.
Serving size: 1 piece of cake (made with apple skins on)
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 1 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 170 mg