2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon apple juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 large apples with skin
juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
2 small cucumbers, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch thick
1/2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried (optional)
Do not give honey to children under 12 months of age - they are at risk of infant botulism, which is a rare but serious form of food poisoning.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a bowl. (This can be done, covered, and refrigerated a day ahead.)
- Wash the apples well since you are using the skins.
- Remove the core and cut the apples into bite-sized pieces.
- Put the apple pieces into a large bowl, add lemon juice, and toss together to keep the apples from turning brown.
- Wash and prepare the cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, and dill (if using fresh). Add these ingredients to the apple pieces.
- Add the dressing and toss everything until the apples and vegetables are well coated.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1 cup
Fat: 5 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 100 mg