1/4 loaf Italian or French bread
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded, low-fat
2 to 4 tablespoons green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 to 4 tablespoons mushrooms, sliced, fresh or canned
other vegetable toppings as desired
Italian seasoning to taste (optional)
- Wash and prepare fresh vegetables.
- Split the bread lenghwise and toast under the broiler in the oven or toaster oven until slightly brown.
- Remove the bread and set the oven or toaster oven to 350 °F.
- Top each bread half with pizza sauce, vegetables, and low-fat cheese.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning as desired.
- Return bread to oven or toaster oven and heat until cheese melts.
- Add tasty leftover vegetables to your pizza, like broccoli and spinach.
- Substitute the bread with split pita bread or an English muffin.
Serving size: 1 slice of pizza bread
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 420 mg