Holiday Inn, 265 Lakeside Ave., Marlborough, MA 01752
Green School is a comprehensive certificate short course for Green Industry and agricultural professionals held bi-annually and taught by UMass Extension specialists and University of Massachusetts faculty. This course is designed for horticultural practitioners such as landscapers, lawn care specialists, arborists, and now also vegetable producers wishing to gain an understanding of plant care fundamentals and strategies and their relation to environmental quality. Green School attendees learn about sustainable methods of plant selection, plant maintenance, and pest and nutrient management which lay the foundation for environmentally-appropriate decision-making. Through in-depth discussion of up-to-date techniques, participants develop an understanding of how proper management practices can minimize impact on precious natural resources such as soil and water. The Green School curriculum, which emphasizes a systems-based approach to plant care and food production, is based on current research and focuses on environmental stewardship, Best Management Practices (BMPs) and integrated pest management (IPM).
Green School students must choose a "specialty track" when registering. Four tracks are offered. Click the corresponding track name for complete information:
|Landscape Management||Turf Management||Arboriculture||Sustainable Vegetable Production|
|Registration Resumes in 2014|
Green School is offered every other year. The next available session will be held in the November-December 2014. There is no session in 2013.
- Daily Schedule: With the exception of the first day which starts at 8:45 am for everyone, lectures run daily 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, with a 1 hour break for lunch. The daily quiz (mandatory for those earning a certificate) starts promptly each day at 9:00 am.
- Pesticide & Professional Contact Hours: 12 contact hours for Massachusetts categories 29, 36, 37; 6 contact hours for Massachusetts Licensed Applicator Training. Attendance at Green School will satisfy part of the experience requirement necessary to sit for the certification exam in Categories 29, 36, 37. Pesticide credits awarded will be valid for all New England states. Credits available for MCH, MCLP, MCA, ISA, SAF and CFE certifications.
- Certificate: Awarded upon achieving a 75% average score. There will be a daily quiz on the preceding session's material, plus two take home tests. An average of all quiz grades will comprise the final grade. It is not necessary to take the daily quizzes to attend Green School if receiving the certificate is not desired.
- Certification Exam Preparation: Green School is also helpful for people preparing to take the following professional certification exams - Massachusetts Certified Arborist (MCA) offered by the Massachusetts Arborist Association (MAA), Massachusetts Certified Horticulturist (MCH) offered by the Massachusetts Nursery and Landscape Association (MNLA), and the Massachusetts Certified Landscape Professional (MCLP) offered by the Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals (MLP).
- UMass Academic Credits: Three UMass academic credits have been requested.
- Weather Cancellation: To find out if a class has been canceled, call after 6:00 AM on the morning of class. Call either 413-545-0895 or 508-892-0382.
Send an e-mail to email@example.com. You may also call the UMass Extension Landscape, Nursery & Urban Forestry Program at (413) 545-0895 or the UMass Extension Turf Program at (508) 892-0382.