Holiday Inn, 265 Lakeside Ave., Marlborough, MA 01752
Late October through early December, click into a specific educational track below to see detailed program calendars.
Green School is a comprehensive certificate short course for Green Industry professionals held bi-annually and taught by UMass Extension specialists and University of Massachusetts faculty. This course is designed for horticultural practitioners such as landscapers, professional gardeners, lawn care specialists, and arborists wishing to gain an understanding of plant care fundamentals and strategies and their relation to environmental quality. Green School attendees learn about sustainable methods of plant selection, plant maintenance, and pest and nutrient management which lay the foundation for environmentally-appropriate decision-making. Through in-depth discussion of up-to-date techniques, participants develop an understanding of how proper management practices can minimize impact on precious natural resources such as soil and water. The Green School curriculum, which emphasizes a systems-based approach to plant care, is based on current research and focuses on environmental stewardship, Best Management Practices (BMPs) and integrated pest management (IPM).
Green School students must choose a "specialty track" when registering. Three tracks are offered. Click the corresponding track name for complete information:
|Landscape Management||Turf Management||Arboriculture|
Chosse an option below to register online or by mail. Online registrations include an additional processing fee.
|To register by mail with check or PO:||To register online with a credit card:|
|Enter online registration system|
- Daily Schedule: With the exception of the first day which starts at 8:45 am for everyone, lectures run daily 9:30 am to 3:30 pm, with a 1 hour break for lunch. The daily quiz (mandatory for those earning a certificate) starts promptly each day at 9:00 am.
- Program Fee: $725, due at the time of registration. Includes morning coffee and all course materials.
- Pesticide & Professional Contact Hours: 12 contact hours for Massachusetts categories 29, 36, 37; 6 contact hours for Massachusetts Licensed Applicator Training. Attendance at Green School will satisfy part of the experience requirement necessary to sit for the certification exam in Categories 29, 36, 37. Pesticide credits awarded will be valid for all New England states. Credits available for MCH, MCLP, MCA, ISA, SAF, CFE and AOLCP certifications.
- Certificate: Awarded upon achieving a 75% average score. There will be a daily quiz on the preceding session's material, plus two take home tests. An average of all quiz grades will comprise the final grade. It is not necessary to take the daily quizzes to attend Green School if receiving the certificate is not desired.
- Certification Exam Preparation: Green School is also helpful for people preparing to take the following professional certification exams - Massachusetts Certified Arborist (MCA) offered by the Massachusetts Arborist Association (MAA), Massachusetts Certified Horticulturist (MCH) offered by the Massachusetts Nursery and Landscape Association (MNLA), and the Massachusetts Certified Landscape Professional (MCLP) offered by the Massachusetts Association of Landscape Professionals (MLP).
- UMass Academic Credits: Three UMass academic credits are available for an additional fee of $345. Contact Ellen Weeks at email@example.com or 413-545-0895 for more information on this option.
- Weather Cancellation: To find out if a class has been canceled, call after 6:00 AM on the morning of class. Call either 413-545-0895 or 508-892-0382.
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also call the UMass Extension Landscape, Nursery & Urban Forestry Program at (413) 545-0895 or the UMass Extension Turf Program at (508) 892-0382.