Resources for Landowners
Before the Flood
- Flood Risk Management for the Public: Landing page includes information and links to various agencies (From US Army Corps of Engineers)
- Flood Insurance 101:
- Is my home or business at risk of flooding?
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA’s) FloodSmart Program describes different types of flood risk and steps that can be taken to reduce economic damages to flooding.
- FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program’s mapping program provides a searchable database of Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps: https://msc.fema.gov/portal.
- USGS Flood-Inundation Mapper website: a set of maps that shows where flooding may occur over a range of water levels in the community’s local stream or river. There are three interactive maps done in the Deerfield River watershed. Zoom in where you see a green triangle on the map.
- The National Levee Database is a repository that includes the location and key information for levees covered under USACE programs.
- The National Inventory of Dams is a repository of information about 79,000 dams throughout the U.S.
- What can I do to reduce my risk?
- FEMA has several programs that assist individuals in becoming aware of and reducing their family’s flood risk. FEMA’s Ready website provides great background information on floods and specific actions that individuals and families can take to better prepare, withstand, and recover from flooding.
- So You Live Behind a Levee is a document developed by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) that describes the nature of risk associated with levees and floodwalls.
- Turn Around Don’t Drown is a campaign by NOAA to provide information on actions individuals can take to keep themselves out of harm’s way: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/water/tadd/.
- Learn about the history of floods in your area. An ongoing effort by NOAA is publically displaying the high water marks of previous floods: http://www.nws.noaa.gov/os/water/high_water/.
- Federal agencies are also working together to create flood inundation maps that can help you determine if your home or business is at risk. Take a look at http://water.usgs.gov/osw/flood_inundation/.
- For more information on preparedness and how you can reduce your risk of flooding, visit http://www.ready.gov/flood
Before a Flood – Links to flood hazard maps links, flood insurance information, how to make a flood emergency kit and family communications plan
- Causes of flooding
- Flood hazard terms
- Driving: Flood facts
- National Flood Insurance Program:
Tabs for information on:
- Plan, Prepare, Mitigate
- Disaster, Survivor Assistance
- Response and Recovery
- Topics and Audiences
- Digital Flood Insurance Rate Maps:
Portal to the Flood Map Service Center with map information on flood risks and associated insurance programs.
After the Flood
- What do I do if I’m flooded?
- First of all, know your flood risk and know what to do if a flood is predicted. Your local community is responsible for making and announcing flood evacuation decisions.
- Individuals and businesses that have purchased flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program will be able to seek a claim and be able to recover more quickly.
- After the Flood: Steps to take if your home has suffered flood damage
- Home and Property Disaster Loans:
Renters and homeowners alike may borrow up to $40,000 to repair or replace clothing, furniture, cars, appliances, etc. damaged or destroyed in the disaster. Homeowners may apply for up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence to its pre-disaster condition.
- Disaster Assistance Loans
The Small Business Association provides low interest disaster loans to homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and private, nonprofit organizations to repair or replace real estate, personal property, machinery & equipment, inventory and business assets that have been damaged or destroyed in a declared disaster.
- USDA Emergency Watershed Protection (EWP) Program:
The EWP program responds to natural disasters which need not be federally declared emergencies. Provides financial and technical assistance to:
- Remove debris from stream channels, road culverts, and bridges,
- Reshape and protect eroded banks,
- Correct damaged drainage facilities,
- Establish cover on critically eroding lands,
- Repair levees and structures, and
- Repair conservation practices.
Requires that landowners work with a project sponsor such as a municipality, conservation district or other state or local agency. NRCS will contribute up to 75 percent of the cost. The remaining 25 percent must be contributed from local sources as cash or in-kind services.