1 tablespoon canola oil
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 cups water
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
11/2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
11/2 cups salsa
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Prepare chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, water, beans, rice, salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Serve in individual bowls and top with sour cream.
- Always thaw meat in the refrigerator and never on the counter.
- Wash hands and everything that comes in contact with raw meat in hot, soapy water before touching other ingredients, equipment and work places. This avoids cross-contamination.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruit and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 8 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sodium: 490 mg