1 large tomato, seeded and diced
2 cups green beans, fresh, frozen, or canned (drain if using canned)
1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1 teaspoon honey
black pepper to taste
Do not give honey to children under 12 months of age - they are at risk of infant botulism, which is a rare but serious form of food poisoning.
- Wash and dice tomato. Wash green beans and basil if using fresh.
- Steam green beans until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. (Skip this step if using canned beans.)
- Place green beans, chickpeas, kidney beans, and diced tomatoes in a bowl. Mix well.
- Combine the oil, mustard, water, basil, honey, and pepper in a small bowl for the dressing.
- Pour dressing over salad. Toss well.
- A great salad for a picnic.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
Serving size: 1 cup
Fruits and Vegetables: 1/2 cup
Fat: 6 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sodium: 280 mg